Sunday, October 17, 2010

Things that I have learned about living in Manila.......so far.

1. People are really obsessed with class here.  Social class.  Example:  I told someone that I was going to my first Filipino child's birthday party.  The person looked at me funny.  I said that I thought that it would be fun.  The person said to me - it depends what class they are.
I am having a hard time getting used to this.

2. If you take your child with you - everyone wonders why you didn't leave them at home with the yaya.  New flash people:  I actually enjoy spending time with my child.  Yes, every mom needs a break but he is still MY child.

3. If trying to estimate how long it will take you to do something - double that by what someone tells you.  For example - I asked the hair salon how long my appt will take and they said it would be approx.  2 hours.  Try 4 hours.  I enjoy time to myself but 4 hours sitting in a chair is torture.  Did I mention that at one point I had three people working on my hair at the same time (and it still took 4 hours)??!

4. Because of above I am only trying to plan one thing a day.  If I get more done, great, but if not there is always tomorrow.

5. There is no rhyme or reason to the supermarket aisles.  Today I found applesauce next to all of the asian cooking sauces.   That is why it takes SO long to get through the supermarket.

That's it for now.

1 comment:

  1. Yes to all of your bullet points! So true. 4 hours at the salon kills me too. Hate it. They are so slow too. I get looks when I take my kids with me too. On the weekends when we go out as a family people are always wondering where our yaya is. It's a cultural thing here. Back from New Zealand!!! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete