Monday, January 17, 2011

Art

While living in Switzerland we went to France, a LOT.  Our favorite place is Cassis (Cote d'azur) and if we have to move back to Switzerland I see a nice little second home in my future.  Almost every time that we went to Cassis we stopped in Aix de Provence.  In the town of Aix they had a great gallerie called 'Carre d'artistes'.  http://fr.carredartistes.com/ This chain is all over Europe (and even in the States I believe) but there was something about the one in Aix.  The paitings/drawings are originals and signed, and their exhibitions change all the time.  I loved it and have about 4 original oil paintings from the store. 


While shopping at the Shangri-La Mall this weekend we came across a Gallery called Art Circle gallery.  All the artwork is down by Filipinos.  I am not a huge fan of Filipino art (most have really loud colors and are of people, or I find that there is a lot of macabre art as well) but this place had some gorgeous paintings.  In the beginning we were drawn to some oil paintings by Manuel Baldemor but then recognized that he was doing Provence (and other European) landscapes.  Well, I can buy paintings of Provence landscapes in France....give me something Filipino I said.  The people at the store were great and really worked at helping us find something that would suit us without being obnoxious (i.e. what about this ma'am, how about this one ma'am?......)  In the end we ended up with two oil paintings by Manuel Sinquenco.  Check out some of his work at:  http://www.artcircle-gallery.com/?q=node/98  We bought something like number 9411.  The artist paints houses from Vigan, Philippines.   Vigan kind of fascinates me, though I am not sure why.  Maybe it's the name??  It's supposed to have these old historic houses (which is a change of pace from the skyscapers of Manila).  They also make furniture there (we have lamps for the house being made there as we speak!) I think we'll make it a point to visit there before we have to leave.  


Anyway, I am pleased with our purchase.  It arrives tomorrow, newly framed and ready for our home.......now I have to figure out where to put them!


**The paintings arrived!







No comments:

Post a Comment