Sunday, May 1, 2011

Chinatown "Woking" Tour

One day in March we also did the Chinatown "woking" tour.   http://www.oldmanilawalks.com/bndo.htm
This one Lars and I did with friends - sans Max.  Sometimes (well, most of the time) it is easier to do things here while Max stays at home with the yaya.  This walking tour was more of an eating tour so come hungry!  To be honest, I wanted to do more exploring than walking (I eat enough as it is anyway!) but still it was very interesting.  We all met at the cathedral in Chinatown and went on from there.

I always notice the poverty in Manila.  I mean how can you not??  It is all around you staring you in the face.  The face of little children with mismatched clothes (if they are lucky), flip flops 5x bigger than what they really need (again - if they are lucky).  One little one running around didn't have any clothes on at all, in the middle of the city.   Imagine that.  Lars was uncomfortable.  I was intrigued.  I use my camera to get close to them.  I take photos and then show it to them - and they smile.  I hope that I can brighten their day in some small way by showing them the photos of them laughing and having fun.  The children never cease to amaze me.









Some more street scenes from Chinatown









As part of the food tour we had some of the most AMAZING homemade dumplings.  Steamed and fried.  I still have dreams about these dumplings.  They were perfect!












Fresh fruit.  Notice that they are Verry sweet!  

Hopia!

Lumpia with garlic
Our friend David enjoying the lumpia

No comments:

Post a Comment